Australia immigration: Skilled Independent Visa – 189 Visa

Australia Skilled Independent Visa
Australia Skilled Independent Visa

Skilled Independent Visa (subclass 189)

This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member. With this visa, you can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia and eligible family members can be included in your application. This is a permanent visa and allows visa-holders to remain in Australia indefinitely with full work rights.

The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa replaced both the offshore Skilled – Independent Subclass 175 visa and the onshore Subclass 885 visa in 2012-2013.

To be able to submit a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through Skill Select. You can do this in or outside Australia.

Application conditions

Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, you must:

  1. have experience in a nominated occupation on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List, and;
  2. have a skills assessment with the relevant assessing authority for that occupation
  3. submit an Expression of Interest
  4. be older than 20 and less than 42 years of age when the invitation is issued
  5. meet general Skilled Migration basic requirements, including English language, health, and character checks
  6. be able to score at least 70 on the points test

If you are invited to apply for this visa, you will then have 60 days in which to submit your online application. Your invitation letter will explain the process you should follow. Invitations are based on claims made in your Expression of Interest at the time you are invited to apply. Your application must reflect the information provided in your Expression of Interest, and be supported by relevant evidence.


You can include the following family members in your visa application:

  • your partner
  • you or your partner’s dependent child
  • you or your partner’s dependent relative.


This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:

  • live and work permanently in Australia
  • study in Australia
  • enroll in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • access certain social security payments
  • apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
  • Sponsor family members for permanent residence.

Further Information, help, and advice

Global Gateways has over 21 years of experience helping people immigrate to countries like Australia, Canada.  If you feel that you can pass the points test and wish to immigrate to Australia, Call to 91-80-41142233.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WhatsApp chat