Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457)
The Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457) is a temporary visa that permits skilled workers to travel to Australia to work for an approved business sponsor in their nominated occupation for up to four years.
You are eligible to apply for this visa if you:
- Have been nominated to work in an occupation featured on the Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL)
- Possess the necessary skills required for your nominated occupation and to fill a position nominated by an approved business
- Fulfil the registration and/or licensing obligations to work in the nominated occupation
- Have adequate English language abilities
- Have been sponsored by an approved business
Apart from the basic requirements mentioned above, a few others have to be met at the time or as a part of the visa application process.
- Health requirements
Australia boasts of one of the best health standards in the world. In order to uphold these health standards, all applicants are obliged to meet certain health requirements to be granted this visa. It is mandatory for these applicants to go through health examinations as part of the visa application process. This is applicable to you and all the dependent family members listed in your application. This visa allows a health waiver to be exercised in certain circumstances.
- Health insurance
You must have sufficient health insurance cover for the duration of your stay in Australia. You insurance is also required to cover the family members listed in your visa application and who are travelling to Australia with you. You are permitted to take out your health insurance from an insurance company either in Australia or your country.
- Character requirements
You are also obliged to meet certain character requirements. At the time of applying for your visa, you are required to provide a police clearance certificate from each and every country that you have lived in for 12 months or more. Certificates should be produced for the past 10 years, after you completed 16 years of age. This is applicable to all the dependent family members listed in your application aged 18 years and above.
Benefits to the Aspirant
The Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457) enables you and your family members to:
- Work in Australia for up to four years
- Take your family members to study or work in Australia
- Travel to and from Australia as often as you wish during the tenure of the visa
Including Family members in your visa application
You can include these below mentioned family members in your visa application:
- Your partner – married or de facto (same or opposite sex)
- Your or your partner’s dependent children
- Other dependent family members
Your application must contain evidence of their relationship to you. Also, your family members must be able to meet the health and character requirements mentioned under the Eligibility Conditions section.
Your sponsor is obliged to include your family members as secondary sponsor persons in the nomination application or as an attachment to your visa application.
How the Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457) works
- Before you apply for this visa, your employer is required to become an approved sponsor for a Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (subclass 457) and then nominate you to fill a position in their business.
- A business can sponsor a foreign skilled worker for this visa if there is a genuine shortage of skilled workers and there are no suitably qualified Australian citizens or permanent residents available.
- You will be able to apply for this visa simultaneously as your nominating employer submits their application to sponsor you for a position.
- You can apply for this visa in or outside Australia. The same condition applies when the visa is granted too.
Global Gateways, Visa and Immigration Consultants based in Bangalore, specialize in immigration to Australia and New Zealand. Global Gateways has above all worked as a specialist in Australian immigration since 1997 and take pride in a reputation for professionalism and high ethical practice.
For more information on any of the sections of the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457), visit the relevant links.by