Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190)
The Skilled Nominated Visa -subclass 190- is a permanent resident visa basically for skilled workers who are nominated by State or Territory Government Agencies. This visa is points-based and is for individuals who have the skills and qualifications to cater to the needs of the Australian economy. It permits migrants to live and work permanently in Australia.
You need to be invited to apply for this visa. When the letter of invitation is sent, you must:
- Have an occupation that is featured on the relevant Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
- Have acquired a suitable skills assessment for the occupation you have nominated
- Be under 50 years of age at the time of invitation
- Have necessary English language abilities
- Have obtained the specified score in the points test
- Have obtained a nomination from an Australian State or Territory Government Agency
Apart from the basic requirements mentioned above, a few others have to be met at the time or as a part of the visa application process.
- Health requirements
Australia boasts of one of the best health standards in the world. Since this visa is a permanent residence visa, in order to uphold these health standards, all applicants are obliged to meet certain health requirements to be granted this visa. It is mandatory for these applicants to go through health examinations as part of the visa application process. Though some visa subclasses allow a health waiver to be utilized in certain circumstances, the Subclass 190 doesn’t allow one.
- Character requirements
You are also obliged to meet certain character requirements. At the time of applying for your visa, you are required to provide a police clearance certificate from each and every country that you have lived in for 12 months or more. The certificate should be produced for the previous past 10 years, after you completed 16 years of age. This is applicable to all the dependent family members listed in your application who are 16 years of age or older.
- This visa mandates you to achieve a score of at least 60 points in the points test to be eligible to be invited
- And if you are invited to apply, you must attain the score stated in your letter of invitation
Benefits to the Aspirant
The Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190) enables you and your family members (who have also been granted this visa) to:
- Permanently reside in Australia
- Study and work in Australia
- Get enrolled in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health care and related expenditure
- Apply for Australian citizenship provided that you are eligible
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residency in Australia
- Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date of issue of the visa
Including family members in your visa application
You can include these below mentioned family members in your visa application:
- Your partner – married or de facto (same or opposite sex)
- Your or your partner’s dependent children
- Other dependent family members
Your application must contain evidence of their relationship to you. Also, your family members must be able to meet the health and character requirements mentioned under the Eligibility Conditions section.
How the Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190) works
- Before you apply for this visa, firstly, you need to submit an Expression Of Interest (EOI) through the online service SkillSelect. When you submit your EOI, State and Territory Government agencies can view it in SkillSelect. They will then assess it and decide whether to nominate you to apply for a visa.
- Each State or Territory Government agency has their own criteria and processes for identifying and deciding nominations of expressions of interest.Some of them contact people directly and others may wait for people to contact them.
- If selected, you will receive an invitation asking you to apply for the visa from the Skill Select system. When you receive an invitation, you have to submit a visa application online. You will subsequently have 60 days from the date of invitation to do so before the invitation expires. During this time, you are not allowed to modify the information in your EOI. You can apply for this visa in or outside Australia. The same condition applies when the visa is granted too.
Global Gateways, Visa and Immigration Consultants based in Bangalore, specialize in immigration to Australia and New Zealand. Global Gateways has above all worked as a specialist in Australian immigration since 1997 and take pride in a reputation for professionalism and high ethical practice.
You can find detailed information regarding nominations and specific requirements on all State or Territory Government websites. For more information on any of the sections of the Skilled Nominated Visa (subclass 190), visit the relevant links.