Schengen Visa Application Requirements, Guidelines for Indian Passport Holders
Schengen Visa is one special kind of tourist visa that enables either transit through or an intended stay within the territory of the Schengen Member States for the duration of maximum 90 days (short stay) within a 180-day period. Indian passport holders can apply for a Schengen Visa at the Embassy of any of the 26 Member States.
Currently, there are 26 Schengen Area Member States, 22 of which comprise of European Union Member States.
India is one of the most important tourist markets in Europe with over 10 million Indians visiting Europe yearly.
More than 700,000 applications for Schengen visas were submitted by Indians in 2015, according to recent statistics.
In total, 708,386 Schengen visas were submitted by Indians in 2015, or 140,170 more submissions compared to the previous year. From the total submissions, only 45,811 visas were refused.
To apply for a Schengen Visa as an Indian passport holder, you must first understand the requirements, the process of applying as well as the Schengen Visa fees for India, which we will present below.
Document Requirements for Indian Passport Holders
A general presentation of the documents requested in order to apply for a Schengen Visa in India:
- Download the application form; fill it completely and with sincerity. You can also fill the Schengen Visa application form electronically and then print a hard-copy.
- Two photos must be attached; the photo should be of passport format – a recent whole-face capture with a light background. Learn more about visa photo requirements for Indian citizens.
- Your passport and copies of your previous visas – valid for at least 3 months beyond return date – are required. Your passport must have at least two blank pages.
- Travel Visa Insurance confirmation of minimum €30,000 coverage within the entire Schengen area.
- A cover letter stating the purpose of visit and itinerary.
- Flight itinerary reservation with dates and flight numbers specifying entry and exit from the specified state/states. You can read everything about flight itinerary for visa application here.
- Proof of accommodation for the whole duration of the intended stay. Learn more about Hotel Booking for Visa application here.
- Proof of civil status (marriage certificate, birth certificate of children, death certificate of spouse, ration card if applicable)
- Proof of sufficient financial means for the period of stay.
If you are employed:
Current bank statement, of latest 6 months
Leave permission from your employer
Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
A copy of your business license in India
Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
Income Tax Return (ITR)
If a student:
Proof of enrolment
No-objection certificate from school or university
Pension statement of the latest 6 months
Regular income generated by property proof of the latest 6 months
*Note: The signed application form must be accompanied by the rest of the mandatory documents, and then handed personally at the correct Embassy/Consulate or its representatives in India.
Who Can Apply for a Schengen Visa in India?
All Indian citizens as well as citizens of other countries that are currently legally residing in India can apply for a Schengen Visa in India.
Other Indian citizens currently residing elsewhere may only apply for a Schengen Visa in India if they are legally present there and provide a justification for doing so while in India rather than in their current country of residence.
Which Member State Examines and Decides on my Visa Application?
The Member State competent for deciding on your visa application must be:
The Member State that is your sole destination of visit
The Member State whose territory is the main destination of your visit (as far as length or purpose of stay), or
The Member State whose borders you intend to cross first to enter the Schengen Area
What if the Schengen country you intend to visit has no Embassy/Consulate in India?
In this case or if the present Embassy/Consulate in India is not currently issuing visas, then your Schengen visa application should be submitted to the Schengen member state “representing” this specific country regarding visas.
Applications can be submitted to:
Schengen visa application for Greece from Goa must be submitted to the Portuguese Consulate General in Goa, India.
A Schengen visa application for Slovakia from Mumbai must be submitted at the Hungarian General Consulate in Mumbai, India.
A Schengen Visa application for Slovenia from Goa must be submitted at the Portugal General Consulate in Goa, India.
A Schengen Visa Application for Iceland must be submitted at the Danish Embassy in New Delhi, India.
A Schengen Visa Application must be submitted at the Embassy of Switzerland in New Delhi, India.
What if I apply at the Member State or Consulate that is not competent for deciding on my Visa Application?
In such cases, the Consular post will, without delay, return the application form and any other documents submitted by the applicant, reimburse the visa fee, and indicate in which competent consulate you should apply next.