Best Study Programs for Finding a Job


Best Study Programs for Finding a Job

Best Study Programs for Finding a Job

If you’re considering coming to Canada as an international student, you might be wondering what you should study. There are so many programs to choose from in Canada, and it can be difficult to know which program will be the best fit for you. We’ve done some research to figure out which jobs are most in-demand in Canada and which study programs are the best for landing a job in these areas!


Every year, Randstad releases a list of the most in-demand jobs in Canada. Randstad is one of Canada’s largest human resources corporations, so they know what they’re talking about when it comes to employment! We selected three of the most in-demand jobs with highly competitive salaries in Canada for 2018. We’ll take you through the positions and their corresponding study programs, so you know what to study in Canada.


Almost every business in Canada has an accountant. From handling payroll to calculating taxes, accountant’s are the glue that hold many businesses together. As an accountant, there are a range of different positions and levels a person can hold in an organization. One accountant might keep a record of payments and revenues, while another might ensure that all the employees get paid on time.

Due to the nature of the position, you can pursue a couple of different programs to get an accounting job. Below are some of the best types of programs for working as an accountant:

  • Business Administration Diploma – 2-3 years
  • Bachelor of Commerce (BCom) in Finance and Accounting – 4 years
  • Master’s of Accounting (MAc) 1-3 years

The higher the level of education, the more qualified you will be when you graduate. And the more qualified you are, the higher your earnings can be! Many accountants in Canada also choose to pursue official designation as a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) which is the gold standard for Canadian accountants.


Project managers in engineering fields make the big decisions to ensure that construction projects are completed safely and efficiently. These sorts of positions require high levels of education and experience in order to work. Therefore, the proper type of education required will vary a bit depending on where you are in your career. Here are a few of the types of programs you can pursue on your journey to becoming an Engineering Project Manager:

  1. Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) – 4-5 years
  2. Master of Engineering (MEng) – 2-3 years
  3. Master of Business Administration (MBA) – 1-3 years

If you haven’t studied engineering before, the first step will be to obtain your bachelor’s degree in one of the engineering-related fields. After gaining some experience as an engineer, those seeking to move up into project management might want to obtain a master’s degree in engineering, or to pursue an MBA with a focus on project management.

Remember, all engineers in Canada have to obtain certification as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng) in the province where they are working.


The role of a business analyst is wide in scope. Some business analysts assist with planning strategy for the organization, while others might be more involved with optimizing software, systems, and internal communications. Business analysts usually require some training in financial knowledge and some training in the technical needs of analytics. Depending on your interest, you can pursue a range of programs to gain the necessary skills:

  • Bachelor of Business Administration in Business Analytics – 4 years
  • Master of Business Administration with focus on Business Analytics – 2 years
  • Bachelor focused on Information Systems – 4 years (software heavy, more computer science focused)

If you’re more interested in the financial side of things, it might be better to pursue a degree in business administration with a focus on business analytics, but if you’re an expert when it comes to computers, it might be better to pursue an information systems degree.

These are a few of the best pathways for those who want to come to Canada as international students and end up with great careers afterwards! Bear in mind that the program you choose to study should make sense with your educational and career background and goals in order for your study permit application to be successful. There are a lot of fantastic job opportunities in Canada outside of these three industries!

Posted in Canada, Canada PNP, Immigration, Study Abroad, Visa and Immigration, Work Abroad | Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

How much does it cost to Study in Canada?




Canada is an amazing place for international students, with more than 300,000 international students studying in Canada last year. Not only are Canadian colleges and universities among the best in the world for their quality of education, but studying in Canada opens the door to many permanent immigration options.


There are a few layers of cost when applying for a study permit.

First, in order to apply for a study permit, you must have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian educational institution. In order to obtain this letter, you will have to apply to the school, which usually involves an application fee. Application fees for Canadian colleges and universities may range from as low as $50 CAD to several hundred CAD for a more prestigious school or program.

Second, you must pay the immigration processing fees. All study permit applicants must pay an application fee of $150 CAD. As well, depending on your country of citizenship, you may have to submit biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) which incurs a fee of $85 CAD.

Finally, bear in mind there may be other costs for obtaining documents required for the study permit application. For example, all documents must be in either English or French, so if your documents are in a different language, you must pay to obtain certified translations.


Tuition for international students varies depending on the program of study and the school. For example, if you want to come to Canada for a degree in medicine, dentistry, or law, you’ll likely pay higher tuition rates than someone studying engineering or nursing. The same logic applies if you want to attend one of Canada’s more prestigious universities, you’ll likely pay higher tuition at the University of Toronto, than at a community college in New Brunswick.

In general, tuition rates for international students range from $15,000 CAD to $30,000 CAD per year. Though there are some study programs with lower tuition fees than this. For more detail on this, you can consult the Universities Canada webpage, where they’ve compiled a list of the average tuition rates per university.

Finally, there is some financial aid available to international students, but it is highly competitive. Please note that there is more financial aid available to international students at the graduate level, completing masters or doctoral degrees.

Also, don’t forget that there are other expenses you should expect related to your studies. You’ll have to purchase books for class, maybe a laptop, and even supplies for science labs. As well, all international students are required to purchase health insurance while studying in Canada, which is usually included in the fees charged by their school of study.


When you’re deciding where to study in Canada, you’ll want to consider that the cost of living varies greatly between different provinces and cities of Canada. For example, Toronto and Vancouver have relatively high costs of living, including more expensive housing and more costly public transit. Meanwhile, smaller cities and towns tend to cost less than these major metropolitan areas.

Keep in mind that international students in Canada are eligible to work part-time during their studies, and full-time during regular breaks. Working while you study is a great way to offset some of the costs of being an international student!

Posted in Canada, Canada PNP, Study Abroad | Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Prince Edward Island invites more Express Entry candidates

Prince Edward Island invites more Express Entry candidates in the second round of invitations this year

PEI invites more Express Entry candidates in the second round of invitations

PEI invites more Express Entry candidates in the second round of invitations

The Canadian province of Prince Edward Island (PEI) has issued invitations to apply to a total of 72 candidates under the Labour Impact and Express Entry Categories of the PEI Provincial Nominee Program.

An additional 7 candidates with scores between 135 and 142 were invited to apply under the Business Impact Category of the PEI Provincial Nominee Program (PEI PNP).

PEI’s Express Entry stream awards successful candidates with ‘enhanced’ provincial nominations. This means candidates in the Federal Express Entry pool who obtain a provincial nomination from PEI will be awarded 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System points, and an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence at a later federal Express Entry invitation round.

PEI’s Office of Immigration revealed a new Expression of Interest system this year for foreign nationals interested in applying to any Canadian immigration category managed under the PEI PNP.

How does the new Expression of Interest work?

All Canadian immigration applications submitted to the PEI PNP undergo a three-step process:

Step 1: Create an account and submit a profile in the Expression of Interest system

Step 2: The highest-ranked eligible candidates with a connection to PEI are invited to submit an application to the PEI PNP.

Step 3: After a review of the paper application submitted to PEI’s Office of Immigration, successful candidates submit a separate application for permanent residence to the Government of Canada.

For the PEI PNP Express Entry category, candidates receive a score out of 100 based on the following factors: age, language proficiency, education, work experience, employment, and adaptability.

PEI’s Express Entry Category offers two pathways to permanent residence status, one of which considers candidates without a job offer in PEI.

For this draw, PEI’s Office of Immigration stated in their update that candidates who received an invitation to apply to the province were required to have a job offer with a PEI business.

It is important to note that submitting an Expression of Interest (EOI) is not an application, but an indication to the province that a candidate is interested in being considered for the immigration category managed by the PEI PNP.

Currently, the Government of PEI does not charge any fees for the submission of an EOI.

In it their update, PEI also released a list outlining all invited candidates’ countries of origin, which reflects PEI’s commitment to increase diversity in the province.

Posted in Canada, Canada PNP, Express Entry, Immigration, Visa and Immigration, Work Abroad | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Essential Skilled worker visa for New Zealand




A popular temporary work visa options that allow employment in New Zealand from 1 to 5 years.


By far the most popular temporary New Zealand work visa option, the Essential Skills Work visa requires you to have an offer of full-time employment in New Zealand. There are specific requirements for a job offer to be acceptable. Your job must be skilled, you must be deemed qualified for the position offer, and paid at or above a certain salary threshold, determined by the skill-band of your employment.


This is a frequent question; have a look at our ‘catch-22’ page.


This visa is granted from 1 to 5 years, may be renewable. You may also study for up to 3 months per year, or as part of your employment (if required by your employer).

Although this visa does not lead to residence, it is often used as a stepping-stone towards an application under the Skilled Migrant Category.


Depending on your situation, your Essential Skills Work Visa may come with conditions. These could specify restrictions in regard to:

  • A specific occupation, and/or
  • A specific employer, and/or
  • A specific location, and/or
  • Travel restrictions

Unless your occupation features on one of the Essential Skills in Demand lists, your employer will need to prove they have attempted to recruit New Zealanders before they can hire a migrant.

Note, there are no English requirements for this visa, although INZ will expect you to have sufficient English proficiency to fulfill your work obligations.



You have decided to move to New Zealand, work here temporarily, or your company overseas is sending you over here for the set period of time. What can you expect?


New Zealanders are known for their hands-on approach to work, where they simply get on the job and get it done. We also have a tendency for collaboration rather than strict hierarchy. In most companies, everyone is expected to contribute ideas and innovation is usually rewarded accordingly.


40% of NZ’s economy runs on business that has under 20 employees, with the average business counting just 13 employees. As mentioned above, this allows for greater collaboration across all levels of a company. Another positive effect is a potentially less bureaucratic system. It is not uncommon for a junior staff to swiftly work alongside senior management if it is for the greater good. Status is not as important as overseas, and first names rule in the workplace. You may also be working in a less specialised environment, which in turn will get you involved in a wider array of tasks and expand your skills, making your job more interesting. Multitasking and flexibility are highly-valued assets in the New Zealand work culture and you will be judged by your skills, not your rank.


If New Zealanders are inherently independent folks, the small size of our businesses means it could be difficult to work efficiently if you never break the ice with your new workmates. Kiwis are known for being very welcoming and warm towards newcomers, so don’t be afraid to ask if you don’t know, and avoid that awkward culture clash. Work events are frequent, whether for a rugby game, to welcome a new staff or farewell another, and good opportunities to get to know your colleagues.


With such fantastic natural backdrop and safe environment, New Zealand is very family-focused. Businesses shut rather early in the afternoon, with very few cafes being opened after 5 pm outside of major urban centers. Employers can be very understanding of family commitments and will usually allow time for special events, providing your professional performance meets their requirements and you are not taking advantage of their flexibility.

Posted in Immigration, New Zealand, Visa and Immigration, Work Abroad | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

How can i Work While Studying in Canada

How can I Work While Studying in Canada

How can I Work While Studying in Canada

How can I Work While Studying in Canada

As an international student in Canada, you may be able to get a job without a work permit during your studies.

Canada’s immigration policy extends the opportunity to gain valuable work experience to international students who have chosen Canada as their study destination.

Work off-campus

With a valid Canadian Study Permit, an international student may be eligible to work for an employer outside the campus of the educational institution where he or she is registered.

Once eligible for off-campus work, international students may work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions, and full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

Eligibility requirements

In order to be eligible to work off-campus during his or her studies, an international student must:

  • Hold a valid study permit;
  • Be studying full-time at a designated learning institution (Visit our dedicated page for a comprehensive Designated Learning Institution (DLI) List);
  • Have started studying and remain in satisfactory academic standing as determined by their institution;
  • be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that is at least six months in duration and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate; and
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

If an international student’s situation changes and he or she no longer meets any of the above eligibility requirements, he or she must stop working off-campus.

Sometimes a student who is no longer studying full-time may be able to continue working off-campus if he or she:

Was registered as a full-time student since the beginning of the study program in Canada and;

Is now studying part-time because it is the last semester of his or her study program and a full-time course schedule is no longer required to complete the program of study.

The following international students are not eligible to work off-campus:

Students enrolled in English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) program;

Students taking a general interest course or program; and

Visiting or exchange students at a designated learning institution.

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) considers a student’s full-time status based on the number of hours and credits allocated towards the completion of a degree, diploma or certificate, as determined by the DLI.

Work on-campus

An international student may be able to work within the boundaries of the campus where he or she is registered in if the student meets specific criteria.

For an international student to work on-campus without a work permit, he or she must:

  • Hold a valid Study Permit;
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN);
  • Be registered as a full-time post-secondary student at a:
  • Public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
  • a private college-level school in Quebec that operates under the same rules as public schools, and is at least 50% funded by government grants, or
  • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law

On-campus work includes working for an employer located on the campus grounds of the educational institution where a student is studying.

An on-campus employer includes the school, a faculty member, a student organization, a private business (located within the boundaries of the campus), a private contractor that provides services to the school, and being self-employed on-campus.

Work in Canada as a co-op student or intern

International students pursuing a study program at a DLI in Canada that requires a mandatory work placement or internship must apply for a co-op or intern work permit in addition to a valid study permit.

Post-Graduation Work Permits

Once the international student graduates, a Post-Graduation Work Permit may be obtained.

In some cases, spouses or common-law partners of international students studying full-time may be eligible for an open work permit. Visit our dedicated page for information on the advantages of an open work permit.

Posted in Atlantic Canada, British Columbia, Canada, Canada PNP, Immigration, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Quebec, Study Abroad, Visa and Immigration, Work Abroad | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment