Labour shortage pushes Canadian job vacancies to record high

Labour shortage pushes Canadian job vacancies to record high, says report

Labour shortage pushes Canadian job vacancies to record high

Labour shortage pushes Canadian job vacancies to record high

Job vacancies in Canada’s private sector rose to a record high in the third quarter of 2017, says a new report by the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.

Canada’s private sector job vacancy rate stood at 2.8 percent for the quarter, the report says, noting the last time Canadian employers faced a similar situation was in early 2008.

“In raw terms, this represents a record-high 361,700 jobs left unfilled for at least four months because employers have not found suitable candidates,” reports the CFIB, a non-profit organization with a membership of more than 109,000 independent businesses across Canada.

The situation was a product of Canada’s growing economy and a shortage of skilled labour,  says the study, which queried business owner/operators across Canada and was based on 2,033 responses.

“Labour shortages are again becoming a major hindrance to businesses across the country, especially small firms,” said Ted Mallett, Chief Economist at CFIB. “We need government to take action, to find solutions for chronic shortages that inhibit a small business’ ability to take on new contracts, expand and innovate.”

The findings showed the highest job vacancy rate for the quarter in British Columbia, at 3.4 percent or 60,100 unfilled jobs.

The job vacancy rate also rose slightly in Quebec (3.1 percent), Ontario (3 percent), and Saskatchewan (2.4 percent) during the quarter. Business owners in Ontario reported 149,600 unfilled jobs while another 85,000 went unfilled in Quebec.

Alberta had a job vacancy rate of 2.2 percent, or 33,900 unfilled jobs.

The only Canadian provinces to see their job vacancy rates decline over the previous quarter were Manitoba and Newfoundland and Labrador.

The Maritime Provinces of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island showed no change in their job vacancy rates between the second and third quarter of 2017.

Posted in Business / Investor Visa, Canada, Immigration, Visa and Immigration, Work Abroad | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment





December 18th marks the 2017 International Migrants Day, bringing global awareness to issues surrounding migration and displacement around the world. Launched by the United Nations in 2000, this day is observed in many countries as an opportunity to share information about the rights and freedoms of migrants as well as stories of personal journeys across and between countries. As the globe maintains a population of displaced persons larger than that at the end of World War II, migration holds a central place in global conversations about human rights.

Canada, led by the efforts of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, remains a hotspot for migration, pledging to accept nearly 1 million new immigrants over the next three years. To find out if you may be eligible to immigrate to Canada, complete our free online assessment and one of our legal immigration experts will contact you!

Canada has pledged to accept almost 1 million new immigrants by 2020. If you have always wanted to come to Canada, you might be wondering how to become one of those million lucky new Canadians! The Canadim Team has put together information about Canada’s various immigration streams, so read below and find out which option is best for you!


The vast majority of those immigrating to Canada will come through economic classes of immigration. Between 2018 and 2020, Canada plans to admit almost 600,000 new immigrants through economic classes of migrants!

Economic immigration streams are designed to admit immigrants who will be able to contribute to Canada’s economy. Investors, entrepreneurs, skilled workers, and those with in-demand work experience are targeted through a range of economic immigration programs across the country. These programs include:

Business Immigration | Express Entry: Federal Skilled Worker | Express Entry: Canadian Experience Class | Quebec Skilled Worker | Provincial Nominee Programs


The Canadian government understands the extreme challenge of have families separated which is why Canada maintains extensive immigration programs for family reunification. Almost 300,000 new immigrants will be accepted to Canada in the next three years under the reach of family reunification programs.

These family-based immigration programs focus on the reunification of close family relatives: spouses, partners, children, parents, and grandparents. Once one family member is established in Canada, they have a range of options for sponsoring their family members to join them in the country:


Canada maintains a strong commitment to helping those around the world who are in need of a safe haven and refuge. Over the next three years, the country has committed to welcoming 150,000 new immigrants who apply through refugee claims, including asylum seekers, and those applying for residence in Canada for humanitarian and compassionate reasons.


Beyond permanent resettlement options, Canada also welcomes a high number of foreign nationals each year through temporary resident programs. These programs allow people to enter Canada for certain activities including visiting, tourism, studies, and employment opportunities. Some temporary resident programs allow people to gain valuable Canadian experience which can contribute to future applications for permanent residence!

Posted in Canada, Immigration, Study Abroad, Tourist Visa, Visa and Immigration, Work Abroad | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment





Many economic immigrants apply to come to Canada in hope of a better future. A higher paying job, better quality of life or better prospects for your children can all motivate you to pick up and leave your home. One of the biggest barriers to immigration for many applicants is cost. But exactly how much does it cost to immigrate to Canada? Express Entry is the most popular economic immigration pathway, but how much money do you need for it?

The exact amount of money that you’ll need to come to Canada through Express Entry will depend on your profile. But, in general, there are three major costs associated with an Express Entry application:

  • Government Processing Fees
  • Proof of Settlement Funds
  • Representative Fees

In addition to these major fees, there may also be fees associated with the various documents that you’ll require for your Express Entry application. For example, you may need to pay for an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) for any post-secondary education received outside of Canada. You may also need to pay to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for immigration. There can also be costs associated with renewing your passport, or obtaining police clearance certificates or medical reports.


Government processing fees have to be paid to IRCC in order to process your file. There are two types of government processing fees: the processing fee and the right of permanent residence fee.

The processing fees are:

  • $550 CAD for you
  • $550 CAD if you have an accompanying spouse or common-law partner
  • $150 CAD for each dependent child.

The right of permanent residence fees are:

  • $490 CAD for you,
  • $490 CAD if you have an accompanying spouse or common-law partner.

There is no right of permanent residence fees for dependent children.

Keep in mind that these fees are subject to change by IRCC. The fees listed here are accurate as of December 15, 2017. Check out the IRCC website for the most up-to-date fees.


You may be required to show proof of funds if you are applying for Canadian permanent residence through Express Entry. The proof of funds requirement, or proof of means of financial support, is required under certain immigration streams to ensure that the applicant has enough money available to support themselves and their family as they settle into a new life in Canada.

You don’t need to spend this money. But you do need to prove to the visa officer that you could spend it.

If the applicant is unable to provide proof of funds documentation, their application will likely be refused or rejected.


If required, you must submit proof of funds to support yourself and your family members. In this case, family members refer to yourself, your spouse or common-law partner, and all dependent children.

Please note: the proof of funds is required for all family members regardless of whether or not they plan to accompany you to Canada. This means that even if your spouse plans to stay in your home country, they still count towards your total family members.

In this instance, family members do not include relatives outside of your partner and children, like parents, siblings, and cousins.


Not for all programs. The proof of funds requirement applies to all applicants using the Express Entry system except for those:

  • Applying under the Canadian Experience Class program, or
  • Applying with a valid job offer supported by a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment

Note that provinces may have their own specific proof of funds requirements for Provincial Nominee Programs. As well, as Quebec does not participate in the Express Entry system their proof of funds are separate from those listed in this article.


The Settlement Fund requirement changes every year because it is calculated as 50% of the Low Income Cut-Off, which is determined by the Federal Government.

No. Of Family Members 2017 Low Income Cut-off Minimum Funds Required
1 $24,600 $12.300
2 $30,625 $15,312
3 $37,650 $18,825
4 $45,712 $22,856
5 $51,846 $25,923
6 $58,473 $29,236
7 $65,101 $32,550
For each additional Member $6,628 $3,314

These funds must be available at the time an applicant submits their electronic Application for Permanent Residence (eAPR). They should be maintained while the application is in processing, as a visa officer always maintains the right to request updated documentation.


You can choose to hire a representative, either a lawyer or a certified immigration consultant, to help you prepare and submit your Express Entry file. The fees associated with hiring a representative will depend on the representative you choose.

If you choose to hire a representative, make sure they are authorized to represent you. An immigration consultant must be a member of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). A lawyer must be a member of a Canadian provincial or territorial law society.

Posted in Canada, Immigration, Visa and Immigration, Work Abroad | Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment