Children can study for free in Canada with their parent’s Study Permit

Children can study for free in Canada with their parent’s Study Permit

Children can study for free in Canada with their parent’s Study Permit

Children can study for free in Canada with their parent’s Study Permit

All parents applying for a permit to study in Canada are welcome to include their children in the application. As long as the permit is approved, the applicant and their dependent children can study in Canada! Canada’s childhood education is free, so this means that children can take part in Canada’s world-class education system without having to pay a dollar!

Including Children on the Study Permit Application

Any parent applying to study in Canada is welcome to include dependent children on their study permit application. A dependent child, in Canadian terms, is any child under the age of 22. If the study permit is approved with the accompanying child, then the child will be issued a visa authorizing their stay in Canada for the same duration as the parent’s permit.

Once inside Canada, all children 18 years and younger are allowed to study at Canadian elementary and secondary schools. The majority of Canada’s schools for children are public, meaning that there is no cost to attend. As well, Canada has a reputation for being a global leader in quality of education, so parents can rest assured knowing their children will be receiving the high-quality learning they deserve.

Education in Canada for Children

All children in Canada are required, by law, to attend school. This includes the children of parents who are in the country temporarily to work or study themselves. Thankfully, due to Canada’s exceptional education system, children can benefit greatly from attending a Canadian institution.

The school system for children in Canada generally begins with elementary school and then progresses to high school (sometimes called secondary school). This system is composed of twelve grades, so a student begins with Grade One and spends one year completing each subsequent grade. Once a student completes Grade 12 they receive their high school diploma which makes them eligible to study at college or university.

Being your Spouse!

Many parents are also curious to know whether or not their spouse or partner may join them in Canada while they are studying. As with children, a person applying for a study permit is welcome to include their spouse on their application for a study permit. If an application is approved with their accompanying spouse, then the spouse will be eligible for an open work permit, enabling them to work full-time, for any employer in Canada while their partner is studying!

Impact on Study Permit Application

Depending on a person’s study permit application, including children and spouses may impact the immigration officer’s decision on whether to approve or reject the study permit. Depending on the circumstances, including family members on a study permit application may suggest that a person’s primary intention is not to study in Canada, which can be grounds for an application to be refused. If an applicant is worried about this outcome, they may apply to come to Canada independently and then later apply to bring their spouse and children to join them. If you are concerned about including your family members on your study permit application, you should consult with a legal representation.

This entry was posted in Canada, Canada PNP, Immigration, Study Abroad, Visa and Immigration, Work Abroad and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.