Canada Federal Skilled Trades Visa

Canada Federal Skilled Trades Visa


All skilled workers applying for the Canada Federal Skilled Trades Visa must apply under the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) through the Express Entry system. The FSTP is designed for people who wish to obtain permanent residence in Canada based on qualifications in a skilled trade. The Express Entry system is a new electronic system used to manage applications, that was introduced by the Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) from January 2015 and is the first and foremost step to immigrate to Canada under certain key Federal Economic Immigration Programs, one of them being FSTP.

Eligibility Conditions

Minimum Eligibility Criteria

To be able to immigrate to Canada through the Federal Skilled Trades Program, you must satisfy the Express Entry eligibility criteria as well as the primary Program eligibility criteria mentioned as follows:

  • You must plan on living outside of the province of Quebec.
  • Total skilled work experience: You must have at least two years of continuous full-time work experience or an equal amount in part-time work experience in your skilled trade in the five years preceding your application.
    • 30 hours per week for 12 months or 1,560 hours in total is equal to 1-year full-time work
    • 15 hours per week for 24 months or 1,560 hours in total is equal to 1 year part time work
  • You are required to meet the job requirements for the skilled trade as specified in the National Occupation Classification (NOC).


  • You must have a valid job offer for continuous full-time work for a total period of at least one year, that is, you must have job offers made by up to two employers for at least one year of continuous full-time work. Or else you must have a certificate of qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian Province or Territory.

Skilled work experience

Your skilled work experience must be in Skill Level B of the 2011 National Occupational Classification (NOC) and in one of the skilled trade occupations that qualify for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. These skilled trade occupations are organized under a few major and minor groups of the 2011 NOC and start with codes 72, 73, 82, 92 (Major Groups) as well as 632 and 633 (Minor Groups).

Language Abilities

You must provide evidence that you meet the Language requirements for this Program listed below:

  • You are required to meet the minimum level of:
    • CLB 5 in English or NCLC 5 in French in the areas of speaking and listening
    • CLB 4 in English or NCLC 4 in French) in the areas of reading and writing

CLB stands for Canadian Language Benchmark and NCLC stands for Niveaux de comp├ętence Linguistique canadiens)

  • You must prove your language proficiencies in English or French by taking a language test with an agency approved or designated by the CIC and including the results when you fill out your Express Entry profile. The test results must not be more than 2 years old on the day you apply for permanent residence.


There is no education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. However, if you wish to earn points for your education under the Express Entry system, it is necessary for you to have:

  • A post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree from Canada


  • A completed foreign Educational credential and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an organization designated by CIC. The ECA report must show that your foreign education is equal to a complete Canadian secondary/high school or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree in Canada.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.