Canada Visa Holder's Travel Tips Canada Visa Holder's Travel Tips
This program only has space for 200 people a year and applicants must be enrolled in a postsecondary educational institution. After an orientation program in Vancouver you find your own job with help from the CFS. Most jobs are in the service area - as waiters, bar attendants, cleaners and maids - particularly in the snowfields over winter, although SWAP participants have worked in other kinds of jobs ranging from farmhands to hotel porters. You are issued with a one year, non-extendable visa which allows you to work anywhere in the country. 'Swappers' must be Australian or New Zealand citizens. STA Travel arranges group departures at reduced fares leaving from most major Australian and New Zealand cities in November and December. Independent departures leave throughout the rest of the year. Participants are given orientation information and a copy of this Lonely Planet book prior to departure.

For full details in Australia contact an STA office or phone. In New Zealand you can also Contact any STA office or phone toll-free. Working Holiday Program This is another program, which is open to all Australians (the New Zealand program is, 1 Facts for the Visitor - Accommodation 81 under review) between the ages of 18 and 25 and they need not be enrolled in a postsecondary educational institution. This program has a quota of 3000 annually. Application forms can be obtained by contacting the Canadian Consulate General in Sydney, Australia. See Embassies & Consulates earlier in this chapter for the address or visit its Web site at The minimum processing time for these applications is 12 weeks. ACCOMMODATION camping there are campgrounds all over Canada - federal, provincial and privately owned. Government sites are nearly always better and cheaper and, not surprisingly, fill up the quickest. Government parks are well laid out, green and well treed.

They are usually quiet, situated to take advantage of the local landscape, and offer a program of events and talks. Private campgrounds are generally geared to trailers (caravans) and recreational vehicles (RVs). They often have more services available and swimming pools and other entertainment facilities. In national parks, camping fees range from $10 to $19 for an un serviced site, and to as high as $23 for sites with services like electricity. There is usually a park entrance fee as well. See under Tourist Offices earlier for more information. Provincial-park camping rates vary with each province but range from $10 to $22. Interior camping in the wilderness parks is always less, about $5 or $6. Commercial campgrounds are generally several dollars more expensive than those in either provincial or national parks. Government parks start closing in early September for the winter. Dates vary according to the location. Some remain open for maintenance even when camping is finished and they might let you camp at a reduced rate.